I’ve just returned from a backpacker holiday road trip from Adelaide to Darwin which would easily have covered 4500-5000 kilometres mostly on the Stuart Highway including several side trips like going to Uluru (Ayers Rock) and drives on unsealed and bush roads like the Oodnadatta Track.
Over time I’ll start publishing a selection of the best photos, reviews of the places I’ve been, accommodation I’ve slept in and tourist companies I’ve dealt with.
It really was a once in a lifetime experience seeing locations and wildlife like no where else:
- The famous Oodnadatta track, passing through/past places like Lake Eyre, the Dingo Fence, Ochre mines, and an unforgettable flight from William Creek over the Painted Desert
- Sleeping in a swag under the stars at William Creek and many other places from where you could see part of an arm of the milky way and another galaxy
- Driving alongside the path taken by the old abandoned Ghan train tracks from Adelaide to Alice Springs and using them for firewood!
- Coober Pedy – the remote South Australian town which claims the status of “Opal Capital of the World” and where it’s inhabitants sleep underground!
- The majestic sight of eagles, raptors and other birds of prey circling over the roads
- Uluru (Ayers Rock), Kata Tjuta (The Olgas), and Kings Canyon (Watarrka)
- Much much more ….
In the meanwhile here’s a sneak preview of the photos (more photos from Outback South Australia, The Red Centre and Tropical Top End will be uploaded bit by bit as I find the time):
|Neerav Standing in Standley Chasm
|Spinifex growing at Kata Tjuta (The Olgas)
|Aerial view of a vehicle driving on the Oodnadatta track
- Catch the Jetbus from Adelaide Airport to the City (Review)
- Adelaide Central YHA Backpackers Hostel (Review)
- Adelaide Tourist and Backpacker Guide: Transport, Sight Seeing, Food, Accommodation
Adelaide to Alice Springs
- Ochre Cliffs – Oodnadatta Track – South Australian Outback
- Lyndhurst Talc Alf Carvings – Oodnadatta Track
- Farina: Ruined Ghost Town – Oodnadatta Track, South Australia
Alice Springs and Red Centre
Still to be Written
- Coober Pedy to Alice Springs
- Alice Springs and Surrounds
- Alice Springs to Darwin
- Darwin and Surrounds