The MG iSmart app for Android and iPhone lets you do lots of useful things with the MG ZS EV electric car such as monitoring how much the car has charged, how much range it has left, remotely unlocking/locking, turning the air conditioning on/off etc.
However if you’re selling your MG ZS EV or returning one you’ve rented / test driven then you should unbind the car’s connection to the app on your phone and your MG iSmart account before you hand the car over.
If you’ve bought a second hand ZS EV and the previous owner hasn’t remembered to unbind the car you probably have to ask the previous owner or an MG dealer to do it for you.
Update: you might be able to unbind a previously owned/rented vehicle by doing the following:
- From the car touchscreen Home screen (has your current radio station in the middle), swipe Left
- Touch “Settings” button in the bottom left corner
- On the right hand side there are a series of buttons. These are switchable up/down. Swipe with your finger all the way to the button and touch “Bind Vehicle”
- There will be a big “Bind Vehicle button” in the middle of the screen now, touch that
- Now there are two button choices on screen, choose “Remove the binding”.
- I don’t know what the next step is. I’m guessing the car will need a verification code from the person who bound the vehicle before you had it.
If you’re renting a ZS EV and the rental company has bound the car or the previous renter hasn’t unbound the car then sorry you can’t do anything to use the MG iSmart while you have temporary use of the car.
How to Unbind a ZS EV from your MG iSmart app account
Since MG doesn’t make the app unbinding process very clear I have made a short tutorial below based on the steps I took on my Android phone when returning the MG ZS EV media loan review car I had for 2 weeks recently.
- First open the MG iSmart app
- Touch “Remote Control”
- Touch the name you gave your ZS EV, it will be shown at top of screen.
- Touch the small “unbind” link as shown at top right in the screenshot
- A popup will ask to confirm, touch the “Unbind” button.
- A confirmation code will be sent to the email you used to register your MG iSmart account with, check your email and enter the code into the MG iSmart app
- You’ll see a small “Success” message appear towards the bottom of your screen