I had a press pass to the Media 2010 conference last Friday and have uploaded photos of some of the interesting Media 2010 slides to Flickr.
Media 2010 is a co-production of XmediaLab and Fairfax Digital whose aim is to bring together leading visionaries to mark the turning of the most exciting decade in the history of media, marketing and advertising.
Notes from News and the Spectrum of User Experience Masterclass
Before the main Media 2010 conference I attended their News and the Spectrum of User Experience Masterclass run by Oliver Reichenstein, CEO, information Architects (Tokyo)
- Quote from Dave McClure: The Internet does NOT want to be FREE. it wants to get paid on F*cking Friday, just like everybody else
- Print ads cost exorbitant amounts of money and yet they are unmeasurable! Advertisers with sense would switch from print to web
- In the short term annoying intrusive ads and page takeover ads will seem efficient, but driving away readers means its bad long term
- Be serious about selling big expensive ads on your news website. Sell ads in-house & keep 100% of the money. How else will you finance your journalists?
- Whats wrong with news sites: fonts are too small, blaming Google for industry woes, bad technology (eg: slow sites with big flash ads)
- Efficient user interfaces make $ lots of money. To make news sites efficient need to understand the tasks people use them for and remove obstructions
Photos & Notes from Media 2010 Conference
- Adrian Holovaty – Everyblock is hyperlocal (Video Interview)
- Marc Frons – Print to digital – the future (Video Interview)
- EveryBlock — A news feed for your block – Track and discuss what’s new in your neighborhood
- Monday Note – Frederic Filloux’s weekly blog
- Al Jazeera Creative Commons Repository
- Stilgherrian Media2010 Liveblog