Adextinguisher Installation for Internet Explorer 4,
Netscape 3.x, and 4.x on Windows NT4/2000/XP
- Note: adextsvc.exe only works with Windows NT/2000 and requires Administrator access to
install. It is primarily intended for enterprise use with multiple clients accessing one
server, but can be used on a single Windows NT/2000 workstation if needed.
- Download Ad Extinguisher and save adextsvc.exe where you
want it on the disk.
- Open a Command Prompt window and in it go to the directory where you saved
adextsvc.exe, and type: adextsvc -install and press Enter to install
- You will see the installation dialog. Set your options and click Setup. The Start
Automatically option in the service version sets the service to start at boot time. If you
uncheck this option, the service will be set to start manually.
- After installing the service, type: net start adextsvc in the Command prompt window
and press Enter to start the service for the first time.
- You should now access the Ad Extinguisher Control Panel
to set up remote access if you want other computers to access the internet using Adextinguisher
through your computer. See the section on Remote Access below.
- Remote Access
By default, Ad Extinguisher only accepts connections from the machine it is running on (localhost or 127.0.0.1). Connections from any other machine will be disconnected immediately without reply. If you want to allow someone else access, use the Remote Client Access Permissions box in the Advanced (Show All Options) configuration.
Enter the network number in the Network field, and the network mask in the Netmask field. If the Admin? checkbox is checked, the remote users will have access to the Control Panel; if it is clear, they will not. This should be clear except for an administrator's workstation.
To allow a single workstation access, enter its IP address for Network and 255.255.255.255 for the netmask. To allow the whole Internet, enter 0.0.0.0 for network and netmask. To allow a specific network, enter the network and netmask of that network.
After setting the server to permit remote access, set the client's proxy server to the server's IP address, and the port specified when Ad Extinguisher was installed. This permits non-Windows machines to use Ad Extinguisher. ISPs can install the program and allow their users to block ads by simply setting their proxy servers.
- To remove the service, go to the directory where the service is installed (in a Command
prompt window), type: adextsvc -remove and press Enter.
- The program is ready. Visit some commercial web sites like ZDNET Downloads and see how nice they are without the ads, Note that ads are now transparent. Also notice that animated GIFs stop after one cycle. You can disable this behavior and cause them to animate normally in the control panel.
Note that ads are now transparent. For tech support, to make suggestions about the page or to tell me about ads that are not blocked, have a look at the Help part of this website, and if you cant find the information you want there, Contact Me. I'll do my best to help but there is no warranty.