I’ve just bought a RODE Video Mic Pro (shotgun top mic to slot onto a Digital SLR camera) after reviewing it for the last 6 weeks, during which time I’ve been kicking myself for not getting it earlier because I’ve realised that OK quality video with good audio is far preferable to good video with poor audio.
I first realised this at a DSLR audio/video recording workshop run by British filmmaker Phillip Bloom because he made it clear that:
Sound is MORE important than video but very much neglected especially by amateur video makers. Inbuilt camera microphones are terrible and pick up noise from all directions. Getting a decent directional top mic eg: Video Mic Pro from Rode will result in far better sounding audio and less ambient noise from your surroundings.
You can see a RODE Video Mic Pro being used with a Panasonic GH2 digital SLR camera in the photo below. It looks a bit odd because digital SLR cameras are relatively small these days but trust me the audio recording quality improvement will be huge, even if you’re like me a photographer who is new to shooting video.
Listen to the 15 second recording I made below on NSW Election day, located on a busy Inner West Sydney street and you can clearly hear what the reporter says because the Video Mic Pro is directional (pointed straight at him). In contrast I recorded him talking to camera later on with just the inbuilt camera mic and the sound quality was terrible because you could hear other people nearby and all the traffic noise from cars.
Also there’s this edited video of an interview with Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker I recorded recently using the RODE Video Mic Pro connected to my Pentax K7 DSLR camera:
Specialist USA Camera Gear Shop B&H Reviews RODE Video Mic Pro
- Broadcast recording quality condenser microphone
- Compact design (only 150mm/6″ length)
- Ultra lightweight (only 85g/3oz)
- 9V battery powered, with up to 70 hours battery life (alkaline)
- Integrated shock mounting
- Integrated foam windshield
- 3.5mm stereo mini-jack output (dual mono)
- Two step High Pass Filter (flat, 80Hz)
- Three position level control (-10dB, 0, +20dB)
- Camera shoe mount with 3/8″ thread for easy boompole mounting
- Ten year warranty* (following online registration)