Adextinguisher Installation for Internet Explorer 5/5.5/6 or Netscape 6.X
on Windows NT4/2000/XP
- Note: adextsvc.exe only works with Windows NT/2000 and requires Administrator access to
install. It is primarily intended for enterprise use with multiple clients accessing one
server, but can be used on a single Windows NT/2000 workstation if needed.
- Go to Start button-->Settings-->Control Panel-->
- Click on Connections tab.
- In the Dial-up Settings window, choose the connection you are using. Frequently
there is only one listed.
- Click the Settings button to the right of the connection list.
- Check the box labeled Use a Proxy Server.
- Click the Advanced button to the right of the box you just checked.
- In the Proxy Settings field, enter adext-localhost for the HTTP proxy.
- In the Port field to the right of it, enter 8882 or whatever port you
selected when you installed. 8882 is the default.
- Click Ok in both windows to complete the changes.
- Click here to download Ad Extinguisher for
WIndows NT. Put adextsvc.exe where you want it on the disk, then get a Command Prompt
window, go to the directory where you put adextsvc.exe, and type: ADEXTSVC -install,
then press Enter to install the program.
- You will see the installation dialog. Set your options and click Setup. Instead of placing
the program in the Startup group, the Start Automatically option in the service version sets the
service to start at boot time. If you uncheck this option, the service will be set to start
- After installing the service, type: net start adextsvc and press Enter to
start the service for the first time.
- You should now access the Ad Extinguisher Control Panel
to set up remote access if you want other computers to access the internet using Adextinguisher
through your computer. See the section on Remote Access below.
- Remote Access
By default, Ad Extinguisher only accepts connections from the machine it is running on (localhost or 127.0.0.1). Connections from any other machine will be disconnected immediately without reply. If you want to allow someone else access, use the Remote Client Access Permissions box in the Advanced (Show All Options) configuration.
Enter the network number in the Network field, and the network mask in the Netmask field. If the Admin? checkbox is checked, the remote users will have access to the Control Panel; if it is clear, they will not. This should be clear except for an administrator's workstation.
To allow a single workstation access, enter its IP address for Network and 255.255.255.255 for the netmask. To allow the whole Internet, enter 0.0.0.0 for network and netmask. To allow a specific network, enter the network and netmask of that network.
After setting the server to permit remote access, set the client's proxy server to the server's IP address, and the port specified when Ad Extinguisher was installed. This permits non-Windows machines to use Ad Extinguisher. ISPs can install the program and allow their users to block ads by simply setting their proxy servers.
- To remove the service, go to the directory where the service is installed and type:
adextsvc -remove and press Enter.
- The program is ready. Visit some commercial web sites like ZDNET Downloads and see how nice they are without the ads, Note that ads are now transparent. Also notice that animated GIFs stop after one cycle. You can disable this behavior and cause them to animate normally in the control panel.
Note that ads are now transparent. For tech support, to make suggestions about the page or to tell me about ads that are not blocked, have a look at the Help part of this website, and if you cant find the information you want there, Contact Me. I'll do my best to help but there is no warranty.